Liberty Force on Trial

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Liberty Force on Trial

Post  Transmission on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18 am

Max shot a glance to Andrew and Athena. The things he had to put up with.
"Your honour, it costs me nothing to confess that I myself am an illegal vigilante. Some of you may be aware of the incident with the supervillian Tyrannix which occurred months ago, in which I caused the death of a Jessica Granger, the citizen whom the criminal selected as his host. That was my first inducement of death within this city, and I justify it's necessity as fervently as I do to all the deaths which followed."
He looked slowly around the murmuring room, expression blank and stern.
"I take no regret in doing what must be done, and I would actively encourage other so-called 'heroes' to do the same. But."
He pointed accusingly to his two compatriots.
"Those two? They would never be like me. They always prided their petty morality before the true goal. It sickens me. They were not, are not, and will never be vigilantes. They do not deserve to have that mantle bestowed upon them. And I can categorically state that there are no such individuals in Liberty Force today, much to my distaste. It was, suffice it to say, yet another of the reasons for my departure."
It was then that he stood up from his seat and placed a hand behind his back.
"I have comitted many crimes in my stay here. For that, I am unrepentant. But Andrew? Athena? Why, they would toss out anyone with a radical stance on philosophy in a heartbeat. And yet, I am not the worst law-breaker under this roof. File and Mr. Smith, for instance. File is, I believe, a criminal well-known for covering his tracks and keeping below the proverbial radar. It strikes me as... suspect at best that such an individual would be caught and confess, no less, at a time when it would be most inconvenient for Liberty Force. Far too coincidental, wouldn't you agree?
"And on the matter of Mr. Smith... he practically confessed to bribing a governmental agent with international jurisdiction. Undoubtedly, the Civil Servant program will be having a word or two with him, but that is by no means my main point. Do you think this man strives for truth and justice in a world of uncertainties? Do you look upon this man and think 'hero'?"
Scanning the courtroom for any reactions, he nodded once.
"I thought not. Then why, pray tell, would such a person file a lawsuit against a hero group with no visible profit from it? Of course, there is the possibility that this stoic individual simply wishes for justice to be delivered, but I find that a tad far-fetched. There is no monetary gain from this venture, so I ask the court this question. Why would a wealthy, successful man with no heroic background pursue Liberty Force when he supposedly has nothing to benefit from it?"
With that, he sat down curtly, smoothing out his trousers as he awaited a response.

Transmission

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:37 pm

"Mr. Smith. You place rather a lot of trust on the court believing the word of a known criminal- and one who has clashed with Liberty Force in the past, and so will have good reason to be antagonistic towards us. Oh, and since he's already arrested, it's doubtul that there'll be many consequences for purgory, other than perhaps a few more years. Provided he's still in prison by then."

"Oh, and let's not forget- I do not believe that there is any evidence that File is telling the truth. If there was, I believe it already would have been used- to try to discredit Mr Hart's testimony. As it is, I do believe that even if File's story is true, there would be any evidence- Like Mr. Hart said, File is notorious for covering his tracks."

She pointed over at the villain at this point.

"Frankly, the entire idea of File coming to the stand- no, the idea of him being caught- is incredibly out of character for him. I do not know about everyone else here, but this? I don't believe there is anyway this can be interpreted as honest."

Athena began to sit down when her phone rang.

"...Excuse me, your honour."

She picked it up, a smile breaking over her face.

"You got it? Good. Hand it in a- Oh, already? Great! You're a lifesaver, Anna. Alright. Good. I'll talk to you later."

Athena turned to face the judge.

"Your honour. That was one of my contacts-Sergeant Anna Walkers. A PPD "Ghost". She's been working on aquiring evidence for Mr Hart's testimony, but, well, as I said, I only knew about this yesterday. I didn't think she'd come up with anything, but seems like I've been proven wrong again. She's brought them straight to the courthouse."

She smiled, at ease.

"I would like to submit two pieces of evidence to the court record, in support of Mr. Hart's testimony..."

She looked back at the doors as a baliff brought in a bag and set it in front of the judge.

"Item one; a holographic projector. Used by one of the mercenaries that Mr. Hart mentioned, I believe. I would predict that should you analyse when it was used, you'll find it matches the date of the incident."

"Item two; I believe that you refer to this as a contract? Or a bill? Proof of transaction? Whatever the term is, it's proof that Mr. Hart at very least paid good money to one "Umbra". And I doubt that Mr. Hart is the charitable type."

"Well, that's quite enlightening. So it would appear that unless Mr. Hart is, indeed, the charitable type, and this "Umbra" just happened to have a holographic projecter used on the same day..."

She pointed accusingly at File.

"This man is lying."
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:51 am

Oh, Dawnlight was good. At this rate, he might even have to pull out his trump card. And if that didn't work, well, it had been fun.

Smith's laughter rang out throughout the courtroom.

"Mr. Smith, is there a problem?" the judge asked sternly. Harrison didn't particularly like the prosecutor, but he was a professional and made sure to keep such personal feelings out of it.

"Not a problem, no. But it is quite funny, isn't it? Two pieces of very convincing evidence showing up. It;s just one convenience after another, for both of us, isn't it? They pull one, I pull one, so on and so forth. I am however, unconvinced. Just as I am putting some faith in a known criminal to help my case, by Mr. Hart's own admission, so are you. And unlike Mr. Hart and this... 'Umbra', whoever that may be, File here was a suspect from the beginning of this incident and his motives are, in my opinion, far more solid then Mr. Hart's."

Through the prosecutors speech, File remained silent, only yawning occasionally and picking his nails.

"I can see however, that we aren't going to go far if we carry on like this. I present something, then you present something contradictory, through whatever means you manage to do it. So, I suggest we get serious..."

At this point, Smith pulled out a small electronic device: a small jumble of wires connected to a loudspeaker and tape recorder.

"This here is a simple phone recorder and loudspeaker. Now, no one outside this room knows what we have been discussing, or what has happened. Can I borrow that phone of yours, Ms. Dawnlight? You see, we have already established that during the time of this incident, the hero Annamary went off the radar. File has also admitted to having her kidnapped, a statement supported by further PPD investigation. So, why don't we reunite kidnapped and kidnapper, if only through a phone? I'm certain she'll have some interesting things to say to Mr. File, assuming you three haven't somehow gotten to her first. Since we all know that Mary was in fact not kidnapped and this was all Mr. Hart's doing, you won't mind, will you Ms. Dawnlight?"

Smith was actually quite surprised that Athena was going this far with her story. Hart? He would naturally go on until there was literally nothing left to say in his defence. But even he expected her to have some sense of honesty. All the more reason his accusations were correct, he supposed.

((If she doesn't read this, can someone point it out to Mary ingame, if I'm not on? Also, she doesn't have to reply, but if someone could just copy paste the sort of things she might say if File rung her up, on Athena's phone no less. File would taunt her as if he had done something))

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 am

"Objection."

Athena was standing, still perfectly calm.

"I do not believe that I ever claimed that Annamary had not been kidnapped. In fact, I specifically stated that she had. Check the record if you want. I believe that my exact words were that I did not know "if Mr Hart's actions were linked or merely coincidental" in regards to it."

"Therefore, I do not see the need to bring up likely traumatic memories for Annamary for no reason other than to confirm what is already known."

She pointed an accusatory finger at Mr. Smith.

"Therefore, there is absolutely no need for this. Unless you wish to simply stall for time, in which case I believe you are in risk of being held in contempt of the court- so for your own sake, please, hurry this up and let us end this farce."
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 am

Smith had to use all his willpower to suppress a grin. Just the reaction he was hoping for.

"Traumatic? Annamary is a hero Ms. Dawnlight. She faces life-threatening situations on a daily basis no doubt. And eyewitnesses report that since her return, she seems in perfect health and has taken up her heroing duties once more. I seriously doubt that such an experience would be as traumatic for such an individual as you are making out, especially considering that, as far as we can tell, she was not harmed or mistreated in any way, simply held in captivity. Really, if she wasn't kidnapped by File, Hart or by anyone at all, then what do you have to fear? I sincerely hope that you aren't trying to hide something from the court, Ms. Dawnlight, because I really see no need for us to not at least see what her reaction is."

Both the judge and jury were staring at Athena with a look of disapproval.

"I suggest, Ms. Dawnlight, that you don't make Judge Harrison force you to make that call."

Let's see how many straws we can make you grasp at, little Ms. Dawnlight.

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 am

"I simply attempt to look after my team, Mr. Smith. And given that, as I have said-for the third time now- Annamary was kidnapped by File for the duration of the incident, I do not see the relevance of this call. Whether the events were traumatic or not is not the basis of my arguement, depsite my feelings on the matter; it is the fact that you are simply stalling for time!"

"If you give me one good reason why this is necessary, other than to "see her reaction" that her kidnapper has been detained, then I will happily make the call."

She flipped the phone up and snatched it out the air as it fell.

"Because I somewhat doubt that such an exchange would be of any useful consequence in this trial, other than satisfying File's ego."
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 am

Smith leapt up, shaking his head and approached the courtroom's typist.

"Oh no, no you don't Ms. Dawnlight."

After being asked politely, the typist quickly printed a copy of the court's exact transcript and handed it to Smith, who quickly scanned through it.

"I'm afraid to say, Ms. Dawnlight, that at no point in your testimony, other than just now, did you mention Annamary's kidnapper by name. 'Annamary had indeed been kidnapped for the duration of this incident, and we were looking into the matter. I do not know if Mr Hart's actions were linked or merely coincidental.' These were your exact words, Ms. Dawnlight. Surely if, like you just claimed, you knew that File was the kidnapper, then you would have said so in the first place. And why then did you say that Mr. Hart's actions could possibly be linked? Were you suggesting that Mr. Hart was possibly working with File?"

"He wasn't. Like I said, Harty didn't have anything to do with this." File interrupted, before turning his attention back to his nails.

"Yes, thank you Mr. File. Anyway, you may be wondering why I am so insistent on this matter. And the reason is this: If Annamary was indeed kidnapped by File, then it backs up his story. Care to remind us, Mr. File?"

A yawn escaped the criminal's lips. "If I really must. I had little Mary kidnapped, via one Lucius Macbain, so as to obtain her girlfriend's, Alphaea, sword -Actually, I'll interrupt for just a moment. Did you all know that a member of Liberty Force has sexual relations with a known criminal? Interesting little bit of trivia for you there. Back to the story! Yes, I had Mary kidnapped so as to bargain her for Alphaea's pretty sword -magical and all- and, being a trusty member of Liberty Force, her pals came along for the ride that I set Alphaea, or in other words, the crimes that you've all been droning on about. Happy?" File turned to look at Smith with clear disdain.

"Yes, thank you again, Mr. File. As I was saying, Annamary being kidnapped backs up his story. Which completely discredits Mr. Hart's, thereby incriminating Liberty Force not just of the crimes it is charged with, but also of both Ms. Dawnlight and Mr. Hart of being contempt of court. For your sake, I hope one of you can come up with some handy excuse as to why Fie was never mentioned by name beforehand, and a very good counter claim to his."

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderar on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 am

Andrew glanced over at File then back to Mr Smith.
"Actually...You're the one who believes the known criminal here, Mr Smith."
Andrew stood up, walking in front of the desk and leaning against it. He ruffled his hair, keeping his gaze firmly on File.

"Max wanted to discredit Liberty force, so he had a bunch of goons use holographic technology to essentially dress up like Liberty force and commit some crimes. As for Alphaea being there...who knows, maybe Max knew of her connection to Liberty force and less than grand reputation and just wanted to have her sink further."
"File here says he kidnapped Mary via Lucius Macbain, that was something only you backed up, Mr Smith. And as a law abiding citizen of Paragon, a lawyer no less, Athena would be inclined to trust your words like anyone else would, as well as your belief that a known criminal such as File could be trusted to tell the truth."
He looked at Smith and smiled slightly.
"Personally I think you're both a tad naive but I'm not here to judge, not in a courtroom anyway, am I right?"

He went back to looking at File, watching for any reaction he might give.
"Max may hate Liberty force but he still believes himself an honorable man, by his own admission his only real gripe with the group is that we're not...vigilant, enough, in the way we do things. We have lines we don't cross for the greater good, he doesn't. That is why he left Liberty force after all...not that we wanted him to of course."
Andrew looked over at Max for a moment, a small look of sadness in his eyes before he turned them back to File.

"Max rescued Mary, just a guess of course, but that's where this seems to point isn't it? You think Max is lying? Maybe he is, he already indicated he wanted to 'up his rep' in the world, but rescuing a former team member? Going back to his heroic roots? Well he can't have people knowing about that can he."
Andrew smiled at File.
"I've met literally hundreds of so called supervillain's that claim to be the greatest of them all, File here is no different, hes been yawning the entire time, thinking hes above it all, above the law.
He's not.
Max and some random goons were able to out smart him, bring Mary back safely. Of course as Athena said, Liberty force had nothing to do with that and as File said, we had no reason to, Mary would be returned safely anyway. But Max? Never let a villain go unpunished, he would think us trusting a villain to be more than a little naive, the very reason he left our group in the first place. So he went to rescue her, discredit us, prove that his method works, and no-ones the wiser...pretty smart, smarter than File of course. Just saying...Max handed himself in, you got caught."

Andrew returned to his seat, leaning forward to address the judge this time.
"Your honor, no-one here is refuting the point that Mary was indeed kidnapped, I myself wasn't aware of the facts, as Athena stated, File has admitted to it and Max didn't even go against the idea, though I personally believe he tried to cover up the fact that the two situations weren't singular and connected."
"Calling Mary will offer nothing to the court, and on a more personal note, no, she may not be traumatised, but giving a low life like File a chance to up his already over inflated ego to make a point no-one in this court is arguing against would be both morally and justifiably...Wrong."
Thunderar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 am

Athena pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed.

"Alright. Some clarifications are in order. On both ends."

"Andrew? Liberty Force rescued Mary. From File. File did kidnap her. Via MacBain, I presume. Hence the drama between them when he was detained. There were no lies told there. However..."

"Mr. Smith? Not once did I make an implication that Mr. Hart was the perpertrator of the kidnapping. Nor did I ever imply that File was not. What I was putting out in the open was that there was the possibility that Mr. Hart's actions were related to the kidnapping. In other words, that there was the possibility that he was hired, or the possibility that he was taking advantage of the situation. It would appear not, but there is no evidence as to such- just a very high probability."

"Now, I do not believe that you have, at any point, discredited Mr.Hart's story beyond irrefutable doubt. All that has been proven by the words of myself and File, is that File did indeed kidnap Annamary. As I said. Not once did I imply that Mr.Hart was behind the kidnapping."

"As for why I didn't mention File by name? I assumed that as you had brought the matter up, you already knew. I also assumed that meant you woud have submitted the report we filed of the incident to the court record. Apparently, I misunderstood how Primal Earth courts work, because I was lead to believe that was the system. If I was mislead, then I apologise for any confusion I caused."

Athena tilted her head in apology before sitting again.

Urgh. I should never have gotten into all this.
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 am

Smith sighed heavily, then slapped the typist's record down on his table.

"'The PPD investigations that followed supported these claims.' You might remember me saying this. I'm quite insistent on File's story because there is evidence to back it up. Officer, if you would...?" he asked a nearby police officer who proceeded to leave the room momentarily, only to return with a trolley with numerous plastic bags and laboratory plates.

"All verified in the lab, sir."

Smith smiled at the guard. "Thank you. Here, Ms. Dawnlight, is the evidence you so desperately wanted, which I did mention. DNA matches, fingerprints, clothing particles, all the usual things, including some unusual. Do you truly believe that I would insist on a criminal's story being true in a court of law if I did not have official evidence to back it up with? These were all retrieved from the bank, and while we were unable to retrieve similar evidence from the crypt on account of it now being dangerously haunted, I'm sure we would find similar things if we did. Speaking of, I don't believe Mr. Hart ever did justify his reasons for that particular incident. Taking revenge on your comrades by framing them, killing a few Crey personnel in the process. Understandable, to a degree. But tormenting the souls of the innocent? A bit extreme, wouldn't you say, Mr. Hart, even for you? Unlike Crey, these people don't have a repuation for corruption, and thus, had no reason to be targetted by a vigilante like yourself. I'm quite certain there was plenty of others you could have chosen, others more worthy of your divine judgement."

Smith did not look at the defendants table, instead peering curiously into the various bags on the trolley.

"While Mr. Hart thinks up an excuse for that, I must ask something else then. If you truly insist on leaving Annamary in peace, why don't we call one of the Liberty Force members who was actually there, ask them where they were on that day, etc. I wonder if they're stories will match? And since they haven't been kidnapped, surely we won't have to worry about any trauma then, will we?"

This time, Smith did turn to look at the table, with an outstretched hand "If you would please, Ms. Dawnlight? Mr. Scott?"

((I can't properly remember who was there at the time. Pretty sure Electrikate was, and Dismal. Will have to ask!))

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm

A few seconds passed and though the defendants may have responded, Smith snapped his hand back before they could.

"You know what? I withdraw that request. Really, I can somehow see it going just like everything else has. Back and forth, back and forth. I think the jury and Judge Harrison has seen enough of it."

At this point the prosecutor pulled out his own phone. "Your honour, I would like to present one more piece of evidence before resting my case entirely. Ms. Dawnlight, Mr. Scott and Mr. Hart may respond in any way they wish, but I will not counter them, whatever it may be."

"I see. Well then, go ahead Mr. Smith," the judge replied, secretly relieved that he would soon be able to conclude the court.

Smith held up his phone, a number already inputted and waiting to be dialled. "What I am about to do, your honour, is contact one Alphaea. The person whom accompanied Liberty Force in their spree during this particular case. She is not a member of Liberty Force herself, and neither is she with us at this moment. She does not know anything that has been said here, including Mr. Hart's version of events. We will see what she has to say, then I will make my final statement."

With a flick of his thumb, the phone began to dial. After a few moments, it connected, though there was no response. The courtroom fell into silence.

"...Mr. Smith? Is this-"

"Yo, Casper. How goes?" a voice called out to the microphone attached to the phone as part of the equipment Smith had brought. File's voice

"...So the maggot wants to taunt me from afar. You are as stupid as you are petty, maggot. You should know by now I care not for your voice."

"I apologise on Mr. File's behalf, Ms. Alphaea. My name is Mr. Smith, and I am currently the acting prosecutor in a court case revolving around Liberty Force and by extension, File. I'd like to ask you a few quick questions; were you and members of Liberty Force, at some point in the recent past, asked to rob a bank and torment a crypt full of souls for File, in return for the safety of the hero, Annamary, whom he had kidnapped? Was Liberty Force specifically asked to accompany you?"

The response was quick, and tinged with anger. "Yes, I freed a bright young girl from the clutches of evil, while almost all this city's heroes lay impotent. Her captor, the worm, is the proper cause of all this suffering. If your courts had any shred of justice, he would not see sunrise. Mary's friends and I only did what was necessary to protect her. Taking no pride in it, but no regret."

"Thank you, Ms. Alphaea. That is all. Goodbye." With another flick of his thumb, the line went dead. "So there we are. Somebody who had no way of knwoing what had been said within this room has confirmed File's version of the story, showing not only that Liberty Force took part in vigilantism, but also that they have lied in court. I am not judging or wanting to see them imprisoned for trying to save their friend, nobody should be locked away for something like that. No, I am judging them for how they did it. They did not contact the proper authorities on the matter, hostage negotiation received no form of communication. They did not contact Crey or residents of Croatoa to try and work out a different solution, instead deciding to simply follow File's orders blindly. They did not offer any form of compensation to anyone until pressed about the issue here. And they did not tell the honest truth when questioned on the matter in a court of law, instead trying to weasel their way out by making a former comrade take the fall for them. And with that, your honour, I rest my case."

With a large thud, Smith slumped back into his seat.

"...I see. Ms. Dawnlight, Mr. Scott, Mr. Hart. If you have anything else to say, now would be the time, if not then I will have the jury make their verdict."

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Transmission on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 am

Max looked to Andrew and Athena.
"I shall only say that the entirety of Mr. Smith's evidence lies in criminals like File and this individual. Hardly the most trustworthy lot, I'm sure you'll agree. In fact, I believe this... Alphaea? Mentioned that the heroes 'lay idle', which quite inconvenienly implies that the heroes did nothing, as I said.
"And as for the evidence brought up earlier, well, we are in the city of the future, are we not? One can practically buy cloning technology on any street corner, which has the unfortunate side-effect of making even biological evidence unreliable. That is all I have to say, your honour."

Transmission

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm

The Judge looked sternly around the room, waiting for any more responses.

"No one else? In that case, the jury may proceed to decide on their verdict."

The gavel resounded loudly throughout the courtroom and the jury quickly filtered out. Minutes passed, and Judge Harrison, File and Smith remained in casual silence. Eventually, the entire jury returned, some looking disheartened while others happy.

"The jury will now make their verdict," one called. "After reviewing all the evidence and testimonies presented, the jury has come to unanimous decision; that Liberty Force is guilty of vigilantism."

A slight grin formed on Smith's mouth.

"...However, we feel that to wholly disband the supergroup would not be right, and that the group as a whole could be turned around, perhaps with some change in leadership and guidance."

Harrison stroked his beard in thought. "I see, I see... In that case, with the powers bestowed upon me by the state of Rhode Island, I hereby sentence Liberty Force to a total of three thousand hours of community service, a fine totalling seven million, five hundred thousand dollars in compensation and a warning; and future incidences of this kind will result in far less leniency. Finally, Ms. Dawnlight, Mr. Hart..."

The judge turned to face the two, almost glaring.

"As you have both admitted to serious criminal offences, and as per the jury's recommendation for a change in Liberty Force's leadership, I am sentencing you both to five years imprisonment within Zigursky Penitentiary, with the possibility of early release depending on behaviour and circumstance. Court adjourned."

A final bang of the gavel echoed throughout the court.

((I'm happy to finish it there. If anybody has a problem with sentences listed, feel free to say and we'll work something out/retcon/whatever, but remember that they can both escape or even be released and redeemed depending on circumstance. Obviously visiting and the like is possible. Thanks!))

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 am

Athena stood straight, hands laced behind her back.

"One last thing, your honour, if I may."

She pulled the tablet out again and flicked through the files.

"I wish to request that my own sentence be suspended until the issue in Dark Astoria has passed over. Primal Earth is going to need every single meta human is has in the coming month, and without intending to be boastful, we can't afford to lose someone of my powerlevel."

"In addition, with the disseapearance of one Harold Simmons, Liberty Force is down one veteran. I fully intend transfer leadership of the group to him and Prince Solar, but I don't think that Solar can do it alone- not this. And Liberty Force -will- be needed in the coming weeks, at full effectiveness."

She put the tablet away.

"Therefore, I request that my own sentence is postponed until either the incident in Dark Astoria is over, or Harold Simmons has returned to Liberty Force."

There was no need to tell them about the real reason. Hopefully, if she bound It fast enough, then no-one would be any wiser, and she could help properly against Mot.

If not...

She glanced over at Max momentarily. Well, she'd still have allies, at least. Even if it came to breaking the law, again.

---

((Did a quick check on Rhode Ilse law, isn't 5 years a bit extreme for Obsructing the Course of Justice? Unless the charge was actually perjury. I can't quite tell. If so, yeah, that's about right.))
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 am

"...Astoria?" Harrison inquired. A senior police officer quickly walked up to the to Judge's stand and spent several moments whispering the full details of the situation. "...I...see. Let me think on this, the jury may also have time to reconsider."

And so another recess was called. Ten minutes later, and the jury had returned once more. Both judge and jury looked more troubled.

"Ms. Dawnlight. I have talked with the jury regarding your... request, and I am afraid we simply cannot meet all of your terms. However, I have been fully informed of the exact.... situation, in Astoria. As such, in the interests of the people of Paragon, we will allow you to operate in Astoria , and only in Astoria, when you wish, until the situation there is more stable. While not fulfilling your duty there, you must report back to Zigursky Penitentiary where you can continue with your sentence. This is a court of law, Ms. Dawnlight, and I am already bending a great many laws by simply having this conversation. Do not think I am negotiating with you, I am not. I am offering you this chance purely out of concern for the people of this city."

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Echo 13 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

"I understand, your honour. And it's more than I had hoped for, so thank you. I won't let you down."

Good. As much as could have been hoped for.

She passed her tablet to Andrew.

"Thanks for coming, Andrew. Make sure that Sol gets this, okay? It's got all the files on the cases I was working on."

The immortal turned back to the judge.

"Alright. Unless there's anything else, I think I should be taken to my cell. Busy day tommorow."

With a nod to Max, she stood and walked away with the baliff. Busy day indeed.
Echo 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Andrew took the tablet and watched Athena go.
He could have said a lot of things before she left, asked a lot of questions or even thanked her for coming down.
He said nothing.
Andrew looked over at File, glaring at him for a moment, he glanced at Mr smith, then turned to Max. A small smile crept on his face, one he decided quickly to hide considering Liberty force was just found guilty of various crimes.
He thought for a moment, speaking one word before he left the court room.
"Astoria..."
Thunderar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Transmission on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:30 am

Max watched as the other two left, expression stern. Well, at least Andrew couldn't spoil it with his idiocy. He stood up one last time.
"Forgive me, I believe there has been a misunderstanding. I simply wished to confess my crimes..."
With a smooth motion, he drew his trademark jester mask from his jacket and slipped it on, and snapped a small, grey globe from his sleeve with the other hand.
"I have no intention of repenting."
He looked around the courtroom as he slipped his jacket off smoothly, revealing a suit of black armour underneath. His cloak unfurled from within the outer layer, and he tugged his hood over his features.
"I shouldn't try and set the drones on me. My mask and cloak are laden with scramblers, disruptors and the like. Now, if you'll excuse me..."
With that, he hurled the globe to the floor, and with a loud crack it burst into smoke and light.

Transmission

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brightwel on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am

The sun had begun to set on the Steel Canyon Courthouse as smoke began to billow forth from it. Utter chaos reigned, with news teams scrambling around in desperate bids to get good shots and a front page scoop. Officer meanwhile were trying their best to hold them back while simultaneously trying to organise search teams to track down the vigilante, Maximilian Hart. Despite his advise, police drones were sent out in full force. No matter how hard they looked however, Hart was long gone.

The evening news that day was completely focused on the trial and its outcome. Athena Dawnlight had been convicted of vigilantism, Liberty Force as a whole was receiving large penalties, and a manhunt had begun for the former Civil Servant.

Adam Smith watched the news from his penthouse suite. It had been a good day.

Brightwel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3